Even employees in a shipyard aren’t immune to the afternoon slump. A lack of energy can hit you at any time, so its important to be prepared when necessary. If you’re reeling a slump, what go-to things can you do besides grab some coffee and shake it off? Here are just a few helpful tips to improve your workplace energy.
- Get enough sleep. If you’re tired in the afternoon, it may be because you’re not getting enough sleep at night. There may be multiple reasons you’re not getting 8 hours sleep, but it’s essential that you do what you can to improve this. Give yourself a bedtime and avoid technology.
- Eat small meals. A huge lunch can also make you feel sleepy during the day, which can be a safety hazard in a shipyard. Eating smaller meals to fuel your body is a better choice. Pack a healthy lunch and avoid going out to eat during your shift.
- Stay hydrated. Working in a shipyard can also take a toll on your hydration. Especially when it’s hot outside or you’re working on a confined area. If you’re thirsty, you’re already dehydrated. Make sure you’re drinking enough water.
- Grab some chocolate. The caffeine in coffee is a common go-to for an energy boost, but there may be a better way. Have you considered keeping some dark chocolate at your workstation? Dark chocolate has caffeine and theobromine, so a small square when you’re feeling sluggish can help boost your energy.
- Take a walk. It may also be that you’re feeling burned out with what you’re doing. When you can, take a short break and get away from your work all together. Even a 15-minute walk is enough to clear your head and get you energized again.
- Get to know your coworkers. Lastly, isolation can also make you feel tired and slow. Get to know the people around you. Don’t allow it to become a distraction, but socialization can help you stay focused and excited about the work you’re doing.
Do you want to have more energy at work this year? Contact the team at Hutco to see how we can help.