Feeling stress at work is normal. What isn’t normal is allowing that stress to consume you until you’re unable to cope with your day to day duties. If you find yourself taking stress home with you after a long day of shipyard work, it may be time to develop some new stress management skills. Even the best jobs have moments of stress, so here are some ways to manage it on the job.
- Recognize your warning signs. The best way to avoid stress is to know when it’s about to happen. You can pay attention to the signals your body sends your brain to know you’ve had enough. If you know how you react to stressful situations, you can remove yourself from them and cool down before returning with a clearer head.
- Take care of yourself. Stress on the job can be mitigated by healthy habits at home. Exercising and eating right are great for your body, but they also benefit your mind. Healthy habits help you maintain a good frame of mind. You should also take care of your emotions to know how to process them in a healthy way.
- Organize and prioritize. Have you ever felt overwhelmed on the job? The most common cause of this feeling is a lack of organization. To feel more in control, organize and prioritize your workspace and job. Take time each day to clean and straighten your work area. You won’t panic when you can’t find an important tool and you’ll be able to prioritize the work that needs to be done more effectively.
- Know your EQ. Emotional Intelligence Quotient is the ability to control emotions and have empathy others. You can develop and enhance your EQ over time. If you can understand your own reactions and be able to relate to the emotions of those around you, you have better tools to avoid stress.
- Eliminate bad habits. We all have bad habits that contribute to our stress. Stopping them is easier said than done, but it may be critical to your wellbeing. One of the best ways to break a bad habit is to replace it with a good one. For example, instead eating something unhealthy, go outside for a walk. This will help you break that habit and replace it with something much better.
Do you want to take steps to reduce your stress at work? Contact the recruiters at Hutco today.